Aerodromes and Facilities is a department within the Aviation Infrastructure Division responsible for licensing of aerodromes and heliports, approval of helistops and registration of unlicensed aerodromes.
The licensing, approval and registration process is carried out as per requirements outlined in Part 139 of the South African Civil Aviation Regulations.
Sections within the Department
Aerodromes and Facilities is comprised of three sections, namely:
a) Aerodrome Infrastructure
b) Aerodrome Safety Operations, and
c) Category Z Aerodromes and Heliports
Each of these sections is equipped with a wide-ranging level of expertise to discharge the mandate of infrastructure safety oversight.
(a) Aerodrome Infrastructure Section:
1. Civil Infrastructure- Civil Infrastructure's primary function is to perform safety oversight on the aerodrome design requirements which include runways, taxiways and aprons.
2. Electrical Infrastructure- Electrical Infrastructure's primary function is to perform safety oversight on the design requirements for aerodrome electrical systems which include substations, runways, taxiways and apron.
(b) Aerodrome Operations Section:
1. Aerodrome Quality Management- Aerodrome Quality Management's primary function is to perform safety oversight by auditing processes and procedures as outlined in the Aerodrome Manual which includes Safety Management Systems and Aerodrome Emergency Management Systems manuals and ensuring that quality assurance is documented and implemented.
2. Rescue and Fire-Fighting- Rescue and Fire-Fighting's primary function is to perform safety oversight by ensuring that the aerodrome meets its level of protection as well as ensuring that the Aerodrome Emergency Management System (AEMS) is in place and is implemented.
3. Apron Safety Operations- Apron Safety Operations' primary function is to perform safety oversight for the safe operations on the apron which includes aircraft and vehicle movement, marshalling, refuelling activities as well as the management of birds and wildlife.
(c) Cat Z Aerodromes and Heliports Section:
1. Heliports- the primary function is to perform safety oversight on the design requirements of heliports which include the physical characteristics of the touchdown and liftoff (TLOF) area, final approach and take off (FATO) area, ground and air taxi routes, lighting aids as well as safety operations consisting of Rescue and Fire-Fighting, Apron Operations and Quality Management.
2. Helistops- the primary function is to perform safety oversight on the design requirements of helistops which include the touchdown and liftoff (TLOF) area, final approach and take off (FATO) area and lighting aids.
3. Category Z Aerodromes- the primary function is to register unlicensed airfields.
Technical Guidance Material
Airport Traffic and Financial Data